Without a clear vision, it's hard to direct your efforts in ways that serve your goals. It's also hard to pinpoint and obtain the support and resources you need. For this reason constant goal planning and reflection is essential to the success we achieve in our lives. Success is not a one size fits all, so we must define what this looks like as individuals. In recent years creating a vision board has been a very popular trend, and while I encourage everyone to have fun and enjoy the process of making them, stay aware that a vision board is a tool to help you achieve the life you desire.
What is a vision board?
A vision board is a collage of images, photographs, affirmations, and quotes that help you visualize your goals and dreams. This board can be physical or digital.
A vision board can include goals that include but are not limited to the following:
- Social Goals
How to Create a Vision Board?
1. Decide if this will be a physical or digital vision board then collect you supplies.
Supplies for digital vision board include: a design software (I recommend Canva.com). You can use stock images from Canva's library or download some from Google.
Supplies for physical vision board include: poster board, glue or tape, magazines/images, markers, sticky notes, scissors, and anything else you'd like to add to your vision board.
2. Using a journal or a notepad outline all of your goals for a set period of time (1 year, 1 quarter, 1 month, etc.). Before you start crafting, take more than a few moments to clarify your vision.
3. Gather images that represent your goals/dreams. In addition to images, you can find quotes to add to your board.
4. Arrange the images and cutouts creatively on your board. Feel free to play around with different layout options until it feels just right for you. This process is part of developing a clearer, more detailed vision for the future.
5. Place your vision board where you’ll see it often. Choose a place that makes sense for you. It should be easily accessible daily. Make sure not to secure your vision board too tightly in its new home. This is just in case you change your mind about the placement.
Why is a Vision Board Important?
1. It will motivate you: A Vision Board will motivate you to work towards the goals you have set.
2. It provides clarity: Vision boards can provide a clarity of vision that enables you to succeed and surpass your goals. The process of creating a vision board encourages you to focus on what you want, leaving unhelpful thoughts behind.
3. It serves as a reminder: Put your vision board in a strategic place where you can see it regularly. You don’t need to set workable goals with real deadlines from there, but keep the images and thoughts in your mind. This will remind you of what you are working towards in times of uncertainty.
4. It holds you accountable: A vision board helps you hold yourself accountable. Having a vision board in your workspace will make you notice it more. As you engage with it, you remind yourself of your goals, the life you promised yourself one day you would live.